Tuesday, April 21, 2009

miss usa controversy

The Internet was buzzing Monday about a Miss USA controversy.

Carrie Prejean enraged many last night during the Miss USA 2009 pageant, including the co-director of the Miss California competition, with the way she answered her question regarding same sex marriage.

Judge Perez Hilton asked the question: “Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit? Why or why not? “

"I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody there. But that's how I was raised and that's how I think it should be," Prejean said during Sunday night's live telecast.

Prejean, who says she feels like she won, stands by her answer but acknowledges that her beliefs likely cost her the crown.

Hilton was visibly upset, and there was a mixed reaction from the live audience. Prejean ultimately came up short, losing the title to Miss North Carolina, Kristen Dalton.

. Miss USA 2009 went to Kristen Dalton - see photos here.

On Monday, Keith Lewis, the executive director for Miss California USA/Teen USA, said he was saddened by Prejean's response.

Prejean, who has been romantically linked to Olympian Michael Phelps, spoke on Monday, too: "I feel like I'm the winner. I really do," she said to pageant host Billy Bush on "The Billy Bush Show," noting that she had 1,000 new messages on Facebook and 2,000 friend requests.

Prejean added that her answer "did cost me my crown," but said: "I wouldn't have had it any other way. I said what I feel. I stated an opinion that was true to myself, and that's all I can do."



More Hot Stories:
julie chen pregnant
Pulitzer Prize winners
Cocktail wins For The Love of Ray J

0 comments: